Context for this Lesson
TOPIC: Alphabetical Order, Sequencing, Feelings (SEL)
GRADE LEVEL: 1st
- How and why do feelings change?
TEKS: 1.4 Fig. 19 (E) - Retell or act out stories or events in logical order
- Z is for Moose
- index cards or Post-It notes with letters on them
- chart paper
- space for movement
CREATED BY: Alyse Eligulashvili & Meg Brice at the 2016 DFS Summer Institute
1. DATA PROCESSING
Give each student one letter (written on an index card or Post-it note). Ask students to line up silently in alphabetical order based on the letter they have.
- How did you know where to stand?
- Why are we in this order?
- If we were continuing on, what letter would be next?
Transition: We just did an alphabet activity where you put letters in order. We are now going to read a story. While we are reading, pay attention not onlhy to the alphabet but also to how the characters are feeling!
Begin by asking students what they noticed about how the characters were feeling throughout the story. Once they have generated some ideas, have students group into partners and, in these pairs, have them create a frozen image of one of the feelings from the story. They can then share their image with the rest of the class.
- What facial expressions did you make?
- How did you use your body to make your picture?
- What did you notice about others' pictures?
Transition: We acted out the characters and their feelings. Now we're going to come up with words that describe and explain the characters' actions and feelings.
3. GRAFFITI ALPHABET
Divide students into groups of 4-5 students and give each group a piece of chart paper and markers. Ask them to work together write and/or draw as many different feelings from the book as they can remember on their piece of paper. After groups are finished, hang up papers at the front of the room and have students do a "gallery walk" to look at all of the posters.
- What did you notice about the feelings of the characters?
- Why did their feelings change throughout the story? How did they change?
- Have you ever experienced these feelings or a change in feelings?